One day over coffee in 1934, Chanslor E. Weymouth, Cal Farley, and Roy Pool agreed that a Boys Club was the answer to the problems of unsupervised leisure of the boys in Amarillo. With $300 each, and a building donated by Mary E. Bivins, located at 313 Van Buren – the Maverick Boys Club was born! The name “Maverick” is a cowboy term used for an unbranded calf-loose and roaming the range. Supervised by Director Ralph Dykeman, from 1934-1982, the Maverick Boys & Girls Club has been well received and supported by the citizens of Amarillo. Olympic Gymnasts, State and National Wrestlers have all come out of the club programs as well as many fine business men and women.
The Club is now known as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Amarillo & Canyon. At the present time, the Boys & Girls Clubs serves over 700 boys and girls on a year-around basis. The overarching goal of the Boys & Girls Clusb of Amarillo & Canyon is to provide at-risk youth from low-income families in underserved neighborhoods a safe, nurturing environment that enhances opportunities for youth, ages 6-18, to develop the qualities necessary to become responsible citizens.